SEVEN CHURCHES OF REVELATION
Read Revelation 2.
How would your church feel if it got a report card from God? You would probably want all As, right? And positive marks in the comments section. No absences, of course. How fulfilling it would be if God said he saw our hard work and perseverance. We would love it if God applauded our resistance to the evil practices and twisted theology trying to creep into our teachings. Our congregation would feel strengthened if God told us he was fighting to keep our doors open.
Then again, it’s hard to imagine God writing negative comments, calling our church dead and our deeds unfinished and telling us we need to repent. How devastating to have God tell us that we have fallen out of love with him.
Seven churches, all in the area of modern-day Turkey, got their report cards in the final book of the Bible. Some of the grades that these seven churches received appear to be As, with a B and a C mixed in. However, two churches (Sardis and Laodicea) got Fs, with nothing good written on their report cards.
While none of us strives for an f, we shouldn’t be happy with Bs and Cs either. Only an A grade is worthy of the perfect, sinless God. If he is perfect and the church is his representative on earth, then the church should strive to be perfect too. How would God grade your Church?
(from The American Bible Challenge)
YOUR BIBLE CHALLENGE:
- How many stars and lampstands are mentioned in Revelation 2?
- What group’s practices did the church of Ephesus hate?
- In Revelation 2, who has a throne in Pergamum?
- What faithful witness was put to death in Pergamum?
- Who is the woman that the church in Thyatira tolerated?
Scroll down for answers…
ANSWERS TO: Seven Churches of Revelation
- Seven ( Revelations 2:1)
- The Nicolaitans (Revelation 2:6
- Satan (Revelation 2:12-13)
- Antipas (Revelation 2:12-13)
- Jezebel (Revelation 2:18-20)