Genesis or Genesis
Read Genesis 15….
Genesis has some memorable lines:
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (1:1).
- Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image…” (1:26.
- Am I my brother’s keeper? (4:9).
- God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son. (22:8)
- So then, it was not you who sent me here, but God. (45:8)
But probably the one verse that has the most profound impact is Genesis 15:6: “Abram believed the Lord, and he credited it to him as righteousness.” This statement isn’t as catchy as the others, but it helps us to understand how someone truly believes in God. Abram knew of God; he talked to him all the time. Abram knew the history of God and his characteristics. Abram knew everything he could, but he didn’t believe God until he trusted him.
When the Lord said to Abram, “Look up at the sky and count the stars—if indeed you can count them… So shall your offspring be” (15:5), Abram could have filed that into his brain under Promises or Quotes from God. But instead he filed it in his heart, under Relationships. We trust people with whom we have a relationship. We love them. Not only do we know their qualities and information about them, but we believe in them because we trust them.
Genesis 15:6 defined belief for the entire Bible. It is the same kind of belief needed for a relationship with Jesus, Love, trust.. and believe.
(from The American Bible Challenge)
YOUR BIBLE CHALLENGE:
- If Abram didn’t have a son, who could have inherited his estate?
- What did the Lord tell Abram to look up and count?
- What five animals did the Lord ask Abram to bring to him as a sacrifice for the covenant?
- What came down and tried to eat the animal carcasses?
- The Lord foretold that the Israelites would be strangers in the country for how many years?
Scroll down for answers.
ANSWERS TO: Genesis or Genesis
- Eliezer of Damascus (Genesis 15:2)
- The Stars (Genesis 15:5)
- A heifer, a goat and a ram, each three years old, along with a dove and a young pigeon (Genesis 15:9)
- Birds of prey (Genesis 15:11)
- Four hundred (Genesis 15:13)