Read Proverbs 1……
Proverbs is a collection of wisdom from Solomon as well as other wise men from the Bible. It’s written from the perspective of a teacher talking to his pupil, offering advice on how to have an impact on the next generation. It’s a book about choice and voice. Which voice are we going to choose to listen to?
- The voice of wisdom expresses itself out in the open, in the streets. She has nothing to hide. Wisdom cries out for followers. She thinks of the future and the impact of our choices today on our lives tomorrow. She looks out for our safety. Wisdom sees both sides and knows the schemes of her opponent.
- The voice of foolishness whispers in the shadows and back rooms. She seeks self-satisfaction for the moment. The future is not important, only the needs of now. Foolishness does not think or process the ramifications of choice. She wants what she does not have. She risks everything to feel pleasure.
Who has your ear? Who are you listening to? Don’t end up like the wise writer of the wisest book of the Bible who listened to the wrong voices and made choices that destroyed his kingdom. Even his son did not listen to Solomon’s commands because he didn’t see his father following them in his personal life. Even the wise can end up fools.
(from The American Bible Challenge)
YOUR BIBLE CHALLENGE:
- According to Proverbs 1, what is the beginning of knowledge?
- What two people should a son listen to?
- Who cries aloud from the public square in Proverbs 1?
- According to Proverbs 2, whose house leads to death?
- In Proverbs 3, if you honor the Lord with wealth, what will happen to your barns?
(Scroll down for answers)
ANSWERS TO: Proverbs
- The fear of the Lord (Proverbs 1:7)
- His father and mother (Proverbs1:8)
- Wisdom (Proverbs1:20)
- The adulteress (Proverbs 2:16-18
- The will be filled to overflowing (Proverbs 3:9-10)