KIDS SAYETH THE CUTEST THINGS —
DAVID AND GOLIATH
Read 1 SAMUEL-17:40-58 ****
Maybe you’ve heard the expression, “hurt people hurt people.” Those who have been criticized or rejected criticize and reject others to make themselves feel bigger. Goliath needed some serious counseling. As a kid, Goliath must have been called string bean on the playground. He most likely was a klutz, his enormous body taking years to develop its coordination. The girls probably rejected any advances from this gangly boy, a freakish gargantuan in their eyes.
Then Goliath became a giant. The taunting stopped. His body became agile and deadly. The girls succumbed to Goliath’s desires more likely out of fear than love. Goliath turned to a Philistine God that made him feel better about himself and didn’t make him feel guilty for all the abuse he handed back to the world. Now it was Goliath’s turn to show the world who was boss.
David stepped into the Valley of Elah, and the first thing Goliath noticed was David’s young, glowing, healthy, and handsome good looks—and the verse says Goliath despised him (V. 42) David was everything Goliath never was. It wasn’t the army David represented or even the God David stood up for that offended Goliath. Goliath, the most threatening force on the battlefield , may have simply been jealous of this dashing young lad who had everything Goliath wanted but never had.
We must be careful not to become Goliaths in our world, hurting those around us because we’re jealous of what they have. Our hatred could cause us to lose our heads.
(from The American Bible Challenge)
YOUR BIBLE CHALLENGE
- Besides the stones, shepherd’s bag, and sling, what did David take to the fight against the Philistine?
- What three weapons did David say the Philistine was armed with?
- Whose sword did David use to cut off the Philistine’s head?
- Where did David take the Philistine’s head?
- Where did David put the Philistine’s weapons?
Scroll down for answers
ANSWERS TO: KIDS SAYETH THE CUTEST THINGS-DAVID AND GOLIATH
- His staff (1 Samuel 17:40
- Sword and spear and javelin (1 Samuel 17:45)
- The Philistine’s (1 Samuel 17:51)
- Jerusalem (1 Samuel 17:54)
- In his own tent(1 Samuel 54)